Site name simplication, PHP classes, and more

So I’m gonna be shaking up how I do updates for Path to 2265 from now on. Firstly, these updates are going to be more structured because I want to make them easier to read. Secondly, I want to make it so people can either briefly look at the change list or read details depending on what they want to find out. Also I am removing any set times for posting updates since I’ve missed almost all the targets for posting them these last few months. So with out further ado, here’s we go!

Sitename simplication
I have decided to drop the “Starfleet” part of the website’s name. I believe “Path to 2265” is a more clean site name and it matches the domain name now! Plus, both sides of the “to” are ‘balanced’ with four characters each now (as long as you’re not counting spaces)!

Reimagined search engine capabilities
For a long time, the searching capability and ship report part of the website have continued to rely on the fairly crude MySQL calls demonstrated all the way back in September. By early November, I upgraded to using PHP Data Objects (PDO) for enhanced security and code quality. Now, I have moved to class encapsulation as I become more and more proficient with coding in PHP! So with this object orientated approach, the code required to connect and query the database can be contained and interacting with the “SearchEngine” object can be securely controlled by only allowing certain methods with certain argument sets to be called. The search is also now (FINALLY) a tag-based search and I am currently developing an algorithm that can weight the results of one or more SQL queries and display the most relevant results to the user! I’m thinking about making a separate post to describe the process of doing this and its benefits in more detail, so stay tuned for that! But for now, I’ll leave you with this screenshot:

searchengine class
Most of the code has been collapsed from view since it may have sensitive data

Sitemap
Thanks to the new search engine capabilities, I have been able to reuse the SearchEngine class for other new features such as the website’s sitemap. Essentially, constructing the sitemap is done by querying a database for a result containing all the pages belonging to the same category. The SQL code is the same as a user searching (for now though, more about that later), so a SearchEngine object can be used without any problems.

Click here to see the sitemap!

SS Polaris progress
There is finally some progress on my second design project! I have taken a u-turn on the nacelle placement, and I have stripped some details that I thought made the design too advanced. In return, I tried to pepper in some details that make the design both more unique, polished and maybe industrial. Instead of having that weird dual deflector system mounted on top, the nose of the ship has been cut away to reveal one large deflector/communication array that I hope adds emphasis that the design relies on communication (since it is a diplomatic vessel). The new dish is also surrounded by some missile bays. The design will not have any energy weapons.

It’s quite funny, this design was developed without specs and was required to be developed in a week! Yet, it’s taken like two months or so to get to this stage… xD. Hopefully lesson learnt – ALWAYS iron out design specs ’cause it will just cause headaches later on.

comparison
Polaris: before (top) and after (bottom)

EXP-type Warp Reactor
I have added a new early UESPA reactor to the database. It is an attempt to explain how and why Earth had a matter/antimatter reactor (on deep space probe Friendship 1) so early on.

You can read about it here!

Progress gallery & milestones article
I’ve added these fun articles to show the progress and effort that was put into Path to 2265. Progress gallery is already up to do (mostly), but milestones still needs it content.

Chapter 1 proofreading
After discovering some grammatical errors on this chapter of the History report, I am currently in the process of thoroughly proofreading it!

Discontinuation of the “Todo” page
In all honestly, the page was only created for myself as a temporary tracker whilst I worked on the website. It was a place where I could list issues when I found them for later solving. Now that I use GitHub for issue tracking and source control, it has become redundant and will be removed from the website soon.

What’s the come!
My main focus is developing the search capabilities further right now. I soon hope to have an intelligent tag search with proper result ordering and sorting.

SS Polaris is nearly completion. So I might roll that out soon. The design documentation for both SS Voyager and SS Polaris need proper attention and revamping.

Chapter 2 (“Space Boomers”) should be completed in the next few weeks too!

And I think that’s that for today!

Advertisements

One thought on “Site name simplication, PHP classes, and more

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s