Ironing out “Starfleet’s Path to 2265”

After an interesting birthday on the 27th where a bunch of friends and I had a debate about the merits and dangers of artificial intelligence, it is time to get back on with life. My Star Trek-themed website is nearing the point where it is polished enough to go on the interwebz. Hopefully, it should be online around the middle of next month once I have purchased the domain name I need.

I have made some considerable chances since my last post about the website (Library, Rain & ul/li menus). I rebuild the code and styling of the website in a complete mobile-first approach, implemented the ul/li menu, and generally added more content ready for launch. For this week, I am currently working on refining the style of the website. As it currently stands:

So far, creating content has been thought-provoking and fun to do! Whilst it may take years to complete everything I want to do, the motivation to do this has allowed me to create a fair bit of launch material ready for next month. Here are some examples:

(Please ignore any spelling, grammar or word flow issues. Everything will be proof read eventually before launch.)

Developing the design to suit the content has been interesting too. As shown by the example of a ship report above (and below in far more detail), I have been developing these ‘boxes’ for different types of content to give the page an LCARS-like (the interface of TNG-era Starfleet computer terminals) feel. I avoided completely copying LCARS due to the fact that this website is based around pre-TOS and TOS content (the similarities are just a ‘tip off the hat’). These boxes do collapse on mobiles and tablets in order to free up space for words.

So that’s about it for this update! Most of the changes from here on will be refinements and additions to the CSS stylesheets and adding more content. One thing to be revised is the colour scheme – the blue seems too intense on some displays. Adding more HTML (except when headings and paragraphs are needed) and PHP code is unlikely.

Advertisements

Library, Rain & ul/li menus

Wow. It is really wet today.

I love the rain, yet even I resorted to running into the library for cover today. Inside the PC lab area, the rain is giving its full force unto the windows. Have a look:

 

Note: it was louder in person.

It is actually being a rather nice distraction here as I have woes with redesigning the menu bar for my upcoming Star Trek-themed fan site. Although there was nothing wrong with the menu before, I am currently rebuilding it on an offline test page using lists instead of modified anchors. There are pros and cons to this approach of course, with the main pro being it will naturally suit a multi-level list in the rather likely event I implement one in the future.

Here’s an interesting read on the subject:
https://css-tricks.com/navigation-in-lists-to-be-or-not-to-be/

The current issue is not being able to get the <ul> to float right. Observe the links being rendered over the logo that is floating left:
Capture

Whether you are for or against these lists, please note that currently I am only exploring my options.