Using version control and forking, reviews are now overviews, SS Polaris delayed (again)

So I haven’t been making good on my Sunday updates in a while. In fact the last update was the 5th November! However, there are some big updates for today (Tuesday since I was busy this Sunday).

The website’s development is now being tracked and controlled with the version control solution Git, which in the simplest terms allows me to log every change I make to the website and reverse them if I made a mistake. It’s a huge safety net that gives me more peace of mind in case something goes wrong and effectively allows the core files of the website to be mirrored in the cloud somewhere. Git also allows me to branch the website into two separate solutions where I can work on multiple things without them interfering with each other.  When its time to compile the final product, these branches would be merged into one with the differences of each branch carefully accounted for.

Traditionally branching is used to allow multiple people to work on one project at the same time, but I have used it to fork the website into two branches:

  1. master: main website source. The layout and design of master is considered stable and I can add new website content without fear of issues.
  2. designDev: design development source. Here I am free to experiment with layout and design changes without fear of messing up the content. When a compiled change is polished to the point I want to apply it to master, I can merge the two branches’ stylesheets so the changes can be rolled out to public view.

The GitHub repository for Starfleet’s Path to 2265’s complete code and assets is hidden (a necessity since the PHP code of the website contains sensitive information such as the MySQL database password etc.), but you can view master as it is by simply using the site as normal or view designDev‘s progress by navigating to it via the link under “Site development” on the homepage. Whilst version control for the website was not necessary, I think its a cool thing that can really help the website’s development in the long run! Practicing version control is also an industry gem for software and game development.

In other news; Ship Reviews has been renamed Ship Overviews, a decision made in order to reduce any “authoritative” connotations from my opinions. These overviews are intended to give a brief about the ship in canon or non-canon, some basic background information, my opinion on the ship, and (if applicable) how I integrated the design into the website. To launch the change, the overview of SS Valiant is now up! SS Polaris has also been delayed again due to time constraints.

There are a few upcoming changes/fixes as well. A gallery of the website’s development progress will be up in Articles soon, intended to showcase how far this website has come! The search results are kinda messed right now and grossly out of date, so that needs fixing. Some layout fixes and improvements to the side menu will be rolled out soon as well (some of the first major things to come out of designDev).


New site colour, upgraded search, SS Polaris delayed

First thing first: weekly updates will be on Sundays now since my week is getting busier and busier.

So after finally realising the issues with contrasting red and blue, the side colours are now red and medium grey for the time being. For now I think the colours look nice and modern, but it is likely going to change in the future.


A change that you will not notice from looking at the site is the upgraded search. I finally upgraded to using PHP data objects (PDO) instead of using raw MySQL calls. Chapter 1 has gotten a few updates too with the inclusion of UESPA-9 (FINALLY) and ship sideviews packed with the narrative.

UESPA-20 (SS Polaris) designing has been delayed for a week or so whilst I make changes to the website elsewhere. I am also working on my personal portfolio website as well, which is taking up some of my allocated website development timeslot within my week.

That’s all for now anyway. Have a good bonfire night everyone!

UESPA-9 finished, early warp reactors added

Well, I’ve just finished my UESPA-9 design in time for today’s update! Take a look at the development of the design:

Late-August to mid-October 2017 development

I should make it clear than not everything about the design is finished. An orthographic and internal schematic is yet needed to give a complete picture, but this complete sideview will be enough to allow me to begin incorporating the design into the website fully. By the end of today, I should have most of the ship’s database entry done. By this time next week, I should also have a few paragraphs about the ship written for insertion into chapter 1. For now, you can read more about the design here!

Another significant addition to the website is a section of the (currently only UESPA) database dedicated to warp reactors. Since reactors are probably the single best way to signify technological development in starships, I decided it was time to put some attention there. Currently, information on the Cochrane-type fusion, Yoyodyne-type pulse fusion, and Cochrane II-series fusion reactors is present (which are written in chapter 1 and 2 to be the most prominent reactors in the mid-to-late 21st century). A Yoyodyne II-type pulse fusion reactor page will be done within the next few days to compliment the completion of the DY-732-class ship database entry next Thursday.

Have a good evening!